The chain letter has made a comeback in recent weeks with Instagram story shout outs, Facebook posts and WhatsApp messages soaring into our eye line. One that lured me in within seconds for the #QuarantineCookbook chain asking all who were sent the message to send a simple recipe using kitchen cupboard staples to six friends.
I scoured my contacts to send the chain to and got a few crackers in return. Fellow food blogger Pancakes and Polaroids (a.k.a Kirsty) delivered the goods with her Biscoff pancakes recipe.
Thick and fluffy pancakes piled up high and lathered in a delicious Biscoff creme – sounds perfect right? Add a quick, no fuss recipe to the mix and this is a heavenly plate to make indeed.
What you need:
For the pancakes:
- 280ml milk
- 225g self raising flour
- 55g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch of salt
For the Biscoff Creme
- 1 tsp Lotus Biscoff spread
- 2 tbsp natural or greek yogurt
How to make:
- Keep the milk to one side and in a large mixing bowl, add the rest of the pancake ingredients and mix together.
- While you mix, add in the milk bit by bit (you might not need it all) until you get a nice thick consistency that easily falls off the spoon but will still hold a pancake shape in the pan.
- Grab a frying pan and add to a medium heat. Once the heat is up, add a knob of butter to grease the pan.
- Take a teaspoon of the pancake batter and add to the pan. This will be your tester pancake (the first one is always a dud!).
- Tester pancake out the way, you’re ready to start making your batch. Rule of thumb is to make the pancakes one by one to ensure each is perfectly baked.
- Add a generous dollop of the batter to the pan and when a good amount of bubbles form on the top, the pancake is ready to flip and cook for another minute or two.
- Repeat this process until all your batter is used. This recipe should make six pancakes but depends on the size of your pancakes of course.
- Now onto the creme. Mix the Biscoff spread and yogurt together until completely combined. Taste to check if it is sweet enough and add more Biscoff is needed.
- Stack your pancakes and drizzle over the creme. Get creative with other toppings add chocolate, Biscoff crumb, fruit, biscuits, granola, ice cream – the floor is yours!
If you have a recipe fit for the Quarantine Cookbook, send it over to email@example.com and I’ll add yours to my new Quarantine Cookbook section of the website.
Stay safe and eat well!